the river houseCheshire
A luxury townhouse with 7 en-suite bedrooms in the heart of the characterful city of Chester. The River House overlooks the River Dee and is only a short stroll from all the city’s main attractions. With lots of great shops, restaurants, theatres and bars, all within walking distance, you can expect to have everything you need for a fun and cultural city break.
This is a home that sings opulence and grandeur, with its lively interiors and custom furnishings. Its size and layout makes it perfect for larger group gatherings, milestone celebrations and multigenerational family get togethers. With a fully equipped games room, a showstopper cinema room, dining for up to 16 people and a wrap-around terrace and garden with glorious river views, The River House really has it all.
The large open-plan kitchen (with a walk-in larder), drawing room and dining room, is an impressive and almost palatial space. Think traditional framework with high ceilings and vast Georgian sash windows, decked out with lavish and luxurious interiors. With a sophisticated palette of emerald and forest greens, crystal chandeliers and white marble decoration, this is the ultimate open-plan entertaining hub. The River House can even arrange for a private chef to come and host for you, so you don’t have to lift a finger.
Further, there’s a charming snug library room, a downstairs loo and two bedrooms with en-suites and private terraces.
LOWER GROUND FLOOR
Tucked away on the lower ground floor, you’ll find the games room and cinema room. The quirky games room is full of all sorts of delights from a jukebox and darts board to air hockey and table football. The cinema room has both SKY and BT sports.
The five remaining en-suite bedrooms are upstairs; some with riverside views and private balconies, each with its very own unique design and decor. Think bespoke headboards, luxury linens and stylish feature pieces, with each room having its very own personality. A particular favourite of ours is the room with the playful animal print wallpaper – an apt nod to Chester Zoo. And the bathrooms are equally as glamorous, from copper roll-top tubs to rainfall showers. Staying at The River House feels like having a whole luxury boutique hotel to yourself.
One of the bedrooms has its own lounge space with a small double sofa bed (sleeping 2 children or 1 adult), taking the maximum capacity of the house to 16 people.
The property’s prime riverfront position can be enjoyed from the terrace and garden. There’s outdoor dining for up to 16 people, comfortable rattan sofas, plus a top of the range BBQ.
Two well behaved pooches are welcome to join you on your stay. Please note dogs should not be left unattended at the property and are not allowed in any of the bedrooms or on any of the furniture.
This property comes with a wide selection of concierge services. From homemade meals delivered to your door, private chef dining and wine tastings, to spa treatments and indoor teepee delivery for magical sleepover parties for little ones – no request is too much.
Within the county of Cheshire in northwest England, the old Roman City of Chester sits on the banks of the River Dee, midway between the wild hills and coastline of north Wales and the vibrant cities of Liverpool and Manchester. The River Dee flows between Wales and England, binding the border between the two countries.
It’s a characterful city filled with historical Roman landmarks and cobbled back streets that are lined with mediaeval stripy black and white timber buildings. Home to the world’s oldest racecourse, the riverfront Grosvenor Park, a mediaeval cathedral and an amphitheatre, plus an excellent theatre, shops and restaurants; Chester has everything you need for a fun and cultural city break.
Edgar House is a short 5 minute taxi ride from Chester train station, where direct trains run regularly from London, Liverpool and Manchester. The nearest airports are Liverpool and Manchester.
A car is not needed for a culture filled city break but if you feel like exploring further afield, from the wild North Wales coastline to Snowdonia National Park, it’s worth bringing your wheels.
There’s plenty of parking space located on site, with parking for up to 10 cars. There’s also an electric car charging point.
CHECK-IN & CHECK-OUT
Kindly note that check-in is from 4pm and check-out is by 10am.
FOOD & DRINK
– Porta is a buzzy, intimate and relaxed wine and tapas bar inspired by the tiny tapas bars of Barcelona and Madrid, run by restaurateur brothers, Ben & Joe Wright.
– Chef’s Table is a small independent fine dining restaurant offering seasonal menus and only the very best produce, with excellent vegan and vegetarian options.
– Covino is a small owner-run wine bar and restaurant with a daily-changing menu of seasonal and hearty small plates, with a great selection of organic wines.
– Upstairs at The Grill is reminiscent of the legendary steakhouses of New York and located in one of Chester’s iconic historic buildings. Begin your evening by enjoying one of the unique cocktail creations at the bar.
– Da Noi is the local go-to for delicious Italian food alongside warm, friendly service, run by husband and wife originally from Turin, and where every dish has a suggested wine pairing.
– Don’t fancy moving? Have The River House’s concierge services arrange your very own private chef for the evening.
– Any trip to Chester should begin by exploring the maze of jumbled backstreets. Wind your way around to ‘The Rows’; the row of upstairs gallery shops with black and white timbered fronts.
– Storyhouse is Chester’s much-loved theatre, cinema, library and general cultural hub, and it’s well worth checking out. During the summer months, they also run an open air theatre in Grosvenor Park, putting on some fantastic performances including classics like Jungle Book and Romeo and Juliet.
– Soak up the historical sites whilst walking along the City walls. The complete circuit is just under 2 mile walk and will take you past all 4 of the impressive city gates.
– Feeling adventurous? Row, kayak or SUP on the River Dee, explore the 60 miles of sea views from the North Wales coast path (by bike or foot), or venture into Snowdonia National Park.
– Throughout the year, there are some fabulous festivals that take place all over the city, including the Chester Literature Festival and The Chester Food and Drink Festival.
– The world famous Chester Zoo is a must and makes for a great day out for little ones.
- - Open-Plan Kitchen, Drawing Room & Dining Room
- - Snug Library Room
- - Super-king Bedroom with En-suite & Terrace
- - Super-king/Twin Bedroom with En-suite & Terrace
- - Downstairs Loo
- - Games Room
- - TV Cinema Room
- - Super-king Bedroom with En-suite & A Sofa Bed Sleeping 2 Children or 1 Adult
- - Super-king Bedroom with En-suite
- - Super-king/Twin Bedroom with En-suite
- - Super-king/Twin Bedroom with En-suite & Balcony
- - Super-king/Twin Bedroom with En-suite & Balcony
- - Terrace
- - Lawned Garden
- - Private Parking
Welcome Hamper Including 2 Bottle Of English Sparkling Wine
Travel Cot & High Chair (Available On Request)
Minimum 3 Night Stay
Accepts 2 dogs (£50 per dog)
Electric Car Charge Point
Bramley Bathroom Products